1/12

Ippolito 1845

Calabria

Our Story

It was 1845 when Vincenzo Ippolito engraved his initials on the country house that was nestled between vineyards, olive orchards and orange groves in the seaside of Cirò. Today, with over 170 years of history, Ippolito is the oldest winery in Calabria. The winery is currently led by the brothers Gianluca and Vincenzo Ippolito, who continue the company’s mission of the enhancement of quality, the recovery of traditions through the cultivation of native vines and the protection of the territory. To that end, the brothers have cut production at the 250-acre estate by more to half to the current level. In their wines, the Ippolito’s seek the elegance, balance and identity of the territory.

Our Region

Calabria is a wine region of southern Italy, effectively a large peninsula jutting out between the Ionian Sea and the Tyrrhenian Sea. It is divided from Sicily by the narrow Strait of Messina. Its northern border with Basilicata is marked by the southern Apennine peaks. Calabria and its wines have been subject to many influences over the centuries. Most notably the ancient Greeks cultivated the first wine-bearing vines here. For many centuries Calabrian wines were famous not just in Italy, but also in other European countries. (© Copyright Material, Wine-Searcher.com). Today, viticulture and winemaking account for a tiny proportion of land use. Around 30,000 hectares (75,000 acres) of the region were under vine in 2010. The local landscape is mountainous, and this has led to fragmented land ownership and widely dispersed vineyard zones.

Our Vineyard(s)

Located in the historic center of Cirò Marina, the heart of Calabrian viticulture, our farm includes a 100-hectare agricultural estate, distributed between rolling hills and sunny plains near the Ionian Sea, in the classic Cirò area. The vines located in the Mancuso hillside area of the estate are densely planted at 6000 plants per hectare and the altitude ranges from 150-250 meters, making it the highest vineyard in the region. The vineyard in the seaside portion of the property is about 12 hectare and is used mainly for white wine.